Rape Victims Are Such a Buzz Kill

betsy devos

Betsy DeVos is right. Lives have been ruined by allegations of sexual assault. It’s really such a shame for rapists. When a woman is sexually assaulted, she most likely will not come forward, as only an estimated 37% of rape victims are heartless enough to report their rape to the authorities. The remaining 63% rightfully spare their assaulters from the life-ruining consequences of their actions, (like 3 long months in prison for poor Stanford rapist Brock Turner, for example) and swallow their trauma in silence.

As they should, of course. Just ask the National Coalition for Men, to whom DeVos lent a listening ear during a series of meetings about sexual assaults on college campuses this past Thursday.  I imagine the group expressed their view that while “false accusations are hard to measure and there is not much available researchthe problem is much more common than we are told.” That’s enough evidence for me right there.

So what if FBI data indicates that “the prevalence of false reporting [of rape] is between 2 and 10 percent”? I say statistics shmatistics. More importantly, let’s take a moment of silence for the poor Gustavus Adolphus College rapist who allegedly had to write a 500-word essay as a punishment for rape.  What a life-ruiner his accuser turned out to be!

In case the National Coalition for Men didn’t make their points clear enough about an issue that affects women disproportionately (1 in 5 women will be raped in her life as compared to 1 in 71 men) DeVos gathered more information about campus sexual assault from yet another men’s rights group: SAVE. The group is not only opinionated about sexual assault, but also about domestic violence in general. Members likely explained to the Secretary of Education one of their core views that “female initiation of partner violence is the leading reason for the woman becoming a victim of subsequent violence.” I mean, what was she talking back for?

Even though 90% of murders are committed by men, and according to the Surgeon General, “domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women between the ages of fifteen and forty-four, more common than automobile accidents, muggings, and cancer deaths combined,” it’s really OK because, you know, she started it.

I’m just glad we have Candice Jackson as the top enforcer of sexual assault cases at the U.S. Department of Education who famously said that “the accusations — 90 percent of them — fall into the category of ‘we were both drunk.’” That’s right. Ladies, leave the keg-stands to the boys. Your responsibility at an event involving alcohol is not to have fun, but rather to protect yourself from male advances. If you fail, well, I guess you were just too drunk.

So thanks so much, Donald Trump for appropriately appointing a business person to be the Secretary of Education. May the rights of rapists continue to thrive under her tenure.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s